ramblingwrights

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Peace at last ... though for how long I'm not sure. Ed is snoozing on the sofa, and Phil in his cot so I have time to type up a few thoughts.

So what does it feel like to be a Mum? Busy, obviously. In the first few hours most of what I felt was relief that he was safely delivered to the outside world. We finally got to meet what had been kicking away inside of me, and that I'd been worrying about for 9 months already. And there weren't any immediately obvious problems.

That then turned to determination to look after him. So many things to learn - I'd read about how to pick up a baby, how to change a nappy, how to breastfeed etc. but now was time to put it into practice. We'd arranged things in the nursery with great thought (we had long enough to phaff a bit) and now they were getting altered to the reality.

It was a bit frustrating the first night in hospital as due to the drugs and exhaustion I couldn't pick him up from the cot, so had to buzz for a midwife every time I wanted him moved to where I could reach, or put back into the cot.

Then on day three, the happy hormones just suddenly disappeared and times of doubt set in, especially in the evenings. So now I'm a concerned Mum, worrying he's hungry / tired / hot / sick etc. but not yet competent enough to get the right one sorted out efficiently. We'll get there in the end.

Luckily Phil is doing just fine, and putting on weight ( he was back above his birth weight by day 10).

3 Comments:

  • I'm glad that you're all well. He's going to have to cope with SAGGA faff in later life, so don't feel guilty for exposing him to a bit of faff-ette now! ;-) Take care...

    By Blogger Mad, at 3:08 pm  

  • SAGGA faff? Never!

    By Blogger DaveP, at 1:00 pm  

  • i can't imgine for the life of me how stressful it must be, having this thing that can't tell you what is wrong when it's crying. scary stuff but sounds like you're coping rationally! x

    By Blogger notquiteginger, at 4:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home